Since 1 July the update of the entrance fees to the Civic Museums has come into force on the basis of the resolution of the municipal council n ° 2023/0055 of 21/02/2023.
Same day reservations cannot be made.
Reserved tickets must be collected well in advance: groups should arrive at the ticket office at least 45 minutes prior to visit.
Those who booked for 9.00 am can collect their tickets at 8.30 am (not earlier).
Contact Center: +39 049 20 100 20 (operating Monday to Friday from 9 am to 7 pm, on Saturdays from 9 am to 6 pm, closed on Sundays and holidays).
Pre-booking is required. Reservations can be made up to the day before the visit if you choose to pay by credit card.
Tickets are non-refundable.
The Scrovegni Chapel, known by the surname of its patron Enrico, is dedicated to Santa Maria della Carità and is famous all over the world for the extraordinary cycle of paintings by Giotto.
The work is the greatest fresco masterpiece of the artist and testifies to the profound revolution that the Tuscan painter brought to Western art. The cycle frescoed by Giotto in just two years, between 1303 and 1305, unfolds over the entire interior surface of the Chapel narrating the History of Salvation in two different paths: the first with the Stories of the Life of the Virgin and Christ painted along the aisles and on the triumphal arch; the second begins with the Vices and Virtues, addressed in the lower section of the main walls, and ends with the majestic Last Judgement on the counter-façade.
The first great revolution made by Giotto in Padua is in the representation of space: we can admire examples of "perspective" and the rendering of the third dimension that anticipate the Renaissance theories of a hundred years.
The second is the attention paid to the representation of man, in his physicality and emotionality: this is well expressed by Giotto in the Stories of the Life of the Virgin and of Christ in which the human joys and sorrows emerge with intensity, of which significant and famous examples are the tenderness of the kiss of Joachim and Anne in The Meeting at the Golden Gate and the desperation of mothers in tears in The Massacre of the Innocents.
The vaulted ceiling is a blue mantle of stars and has round figures of Mary, Christ and the Prophets. In the presbytery is still preserved the sculptural group Madonna with Child between two angels made by the great sculptor Giovanni Pisano at the beginning of the fourteenth century.
The frescoed cycle of the Scrovegni Chapel has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2021 as part of the serial site "The frescoed cycles of the 14th century in Padua".
Located in Eremitani Square, the Civic Museum complex includes the Archeological Museum and the Museum of Medieval and Modern Art. The Museums are housed in the cloisters of the former convent of the Eremitani monks. The Scrovegni Chapel and the Zuckermann Palace are part of this complex.
To reach the Scrovegni Chapel from the railway station: bus nr 3/10/12, on holidays nr 42, metrotram; by car and bus: highway exit Padova Est, Padova Ovest, Padova Sud; parking garages: Porte Contarine Park (21, via Giacomo Matteotti) or Padova Centro Park - Interparking (50, via Trieste).
It is possible to take a guided tour of the Scrovegni Chapel virtually thanks to the site Haltadefinizione, by concession of the municipality of Padua.
In the Chapel of Scrovegni Giotto realized a series of frescos: Stories of Anna and Gioacchino, of Mary, of Jesus, Allegories of Vices and Virtues and The Universal Judgement. See the photo gallery of Urbs Picta!